The New England style church was completed in 1843. The print has deteriorated and the steeple is obscured.
The interior of the New England style church after the 1879 alterations.
First installed in the old church at the corner of Lumpkin and Clayton streets in 1873, this window was moved to the present church when it was built in the late 1890s. The window was the gift of the children of the Sunday School. A complete description of all the stained Glass windows is available as part of the photographic tour of the church.
St. Matthew Chapel is located in the South transept of the present day Emmanuel Church. The Chapel altar was the altar in the New England style church at the corner of Lumpkin and Clayton streets.
The temporary chapel which was built on the rear of the new site on the corner of Prince Avenue at Pope Street.
Oxen belonging to Robert L. Bloomfield, hauling stone for the building of Emmanuel Church in the 1890's.
Emmanuel in 1899 before the addition of the Bloomfield Tower.
The interior of Emmanuel circa 1899. Note the Emmanuel window over the high altar.
(As the congregation grew, the land behind the present nave was purchased. A rectory was built about where the rector's office now is. Mr. Beatty and his family moved into the new rectory just in time for Christmas in 1906. The removal of the temporary chapel left no place for Church School. Where the present Education Building now stands, the Old Parish House was built. It was dedicated the first Sunday in Advent, 1911. Its years of service came to a fiery end on Easter Day, 1978, when it burned to a shell of charred brick. It was replaced by the present building in 1980.)
The new Recotry was occupied for the first time around Christmas of 1906. This photo was taken many years later and clearly shows the line of new masonry added in 1924 and the face of the cornerstone moved at the time of the addition.
A view from across Prince Avenue showing Emmanuel and the Rectory.
The Old Parish House was completed in 1911. It faced Pope Street.
The burned out shell of the Old Parish House. Easter Day 1978.
(In 1924 the rear wall of the church, then approximately where the present altar rail is, was extended so as to extend the chancel to its present depth. The rooms to each side, where the mail room is on one side and the Sacristy on the other, were created. The new, present altar and reredos and surround of Caen stone were installed. The altar is in memory of Mr. Beatty. This new rear wall is the long wall of hall in the church office section at the rear of the High Altar. The original cornerstone of the church was reused and relocated into the Pope Street corner of this new wall and can be seen partially revealed in the Wilkins Porch to the Church Offices.)
(The present Parish Hall, the middle building of the three, was built in 1962. The Guild of St. Francis, gardening parishioners, was begun in 1974. The Guild created the St. Francis Garden in 1980 and the All Saints Terrace in 1987, with substantial help from the Architectural and Memorials Committee.)
The Guild of St. Francis at Emmanuel was founded in 1974 by Peggy Banner Allen. The Guild has assisted in teh creation of many beautiful gardens surrounding the church.